Thursday, February 10, 2005

Leaving home

Well, we packed a huge suitcase each, and had a neighbor drive us down to the Tulsa airport so we can leave tomorrow early.

The neighbor had a doctor's appointment, so it was easier this way.


We closed an agreement to sell the house, and all the furniture and appliances have been sold or arranged to be auctioned.


This is not the first time I have sold/given away/stored all my belongings to work overseas. It is the third time--twice I went to Africa.


The first African trip, we couldn't ship stuff, so only had suitcases. Ditto for the second time I went there.


Things don't always work out, however...the first African assignment went fine for three years, then the war got bad and we went home in a hurry.


The second time, I was barely there six months when I got shipped home to fix a visa, just in time for a war to break out two days later (most of my friends were worried sick, and I had to call them to say I was okay).


We will see how long this lasts. But of course, this time I am not going as a missionary, but as a wife of a retired physician who is returning home in his retirement.


I have just enough government "pension" to cover health insurance under an early retirement...but not enough to live on (no way I am going without decent health insurance, although except for "female problems" I have always been in good health).


The interesting thing about hotels now is that they have wireless. The last hotel was free, but this one is about 8 dollars for 24 hours. A bit expensive, but no more than a movie or room service...(I LOVE ROOMSERVICE...but that's another story).


Luckily, the new downloads for Windows was available, so I could download it fast...


In the Philippines, we have telephone connections, and it's expensive. No broad band yet...nor satellites in the area.

My husband the doctor is reading his newspaper...happy as a clam. He knows more about the world than I do, and his secret vice is the National Enquirer...


No comments: