Tuesday, August 29, 2006

one year later: The heroes of Katrina

The weather channel is busy with tornadoes, and hurricane Ernesto.
But Mike Bettes also takes time to remember those who saved lives during Katrina...


The first day I arrived in Long Beach, Mississippi I was talking to some search and rescue crews about being there. They were from Utah and Pennsylvania. They had worked non-stop since the hurricane struck 3 days earlier. The work they did was heroic and tragic at the same time. They worked from sunrise to sunset, going house to house with rescue dogs looking for any sign of life. They were noticeably exhausted but determined to do their job. The grim truth about it was that although they were putting on a good face they never found any survivors. They are all trained to work under the most grueling physical and emotional conditions, but I could tell that Katrina really affected them, as it did all of us. I spent the next five days in Long Beach. I will remember those 5 days for the rest of my life. I'll remember the rescue workers the most. Even though they didn't find any survivors I think just knowing that they were there, gave the families some comfort.

No comments: