Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Stylizing the classics

I just saw the film "300", and found it fascinating. (Note: right now I'm rereading my college books on ancient Greece, which I brought with me to the Philippines). Link. But LINK2 is easier to read

You see, if the PC Hollywood had made it into a "historical" drama, they would have upgraded Leonidas into a twentieth century metrosexual wimp, sort of like they did in the movies Troy and Alexander.

Instead, the harshness, pride, and independence of Sparta was not minimized; Leonidas, like the Spock character in StarTrek, was portrayed as having a soft compassionate heart under his stern exterior that was molded by that culture. Checking out my Herodotus, I found his wife was named Gorgo and was indeed a strong woman...raised by her father similar to a son and allowed to attend government meetings with her father....

But what was fascinating was the way the comicbook effects mirrored Greek vase art, and the way that the dialogue and the narrator that in classic plays would be sung by the chorus filled in the details.
Greek chorus? Heroic quotations? Just wouldn't work in films...Imagine Brad Pitt saying "if you want my weapons, come and get them".... even John Wayne or Arnold would say the line with irony instead of seriously..., but with a stylized film, it works fine.

All this makes me wonder if someone could stage other classical Greek plays using the "blue screen" style, since the dialect, which would be laughable if mouthed by Brad Pitt or Orlando Bloom, would be more believable in this more stylized way of movie making.

Hint to producers: Sophocles

No comments: