Saturday, September 15, 2007

Numbers for number geeks

Yesterday, I posted a boring essay about the various cyberwars going on...
One aspect of cyberwars occurs in the dark web: finding terrorist links was analysing webpages using mathematics, similar to the TV show "NUMB3RS"...

Forget Jack Bauer, the latest hero is a mathematician...

More numbers trivia is found here
And you can ask about your own favorite number HERE.

On the site, I ran across "Ulam numbers"...
Ulam numbers? (here in the Philippines, Ulam is the soup or entree that you eat with your rice).

I never came across the concept, partly because S.M. Ulam didn't publish it until 1964 and because I never went beyond advanced calculus in math...and forgotten most of what I learned. But Wikipedia has an explanation HERE...and HERE is a mathematical explanation.

SM Ulam made it to the US by 1938, and alas the rest of his family died in the Holocaust.

Now 70 years later other loud mouthed political leaders are again spouting Death to the Jews, and again, like in 1938, people are shrugging and thinking they don't really mean it...but I wonder...

No comments: