Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kittie report

We just gave away the only surviving kitten from the last group I rescued from the trash heap a couple months ago, and now while walking George up the street, he dashed into the open drainage ditch and I heard meows...

When I went back, I found two just born kittens and one that was older. So now we are again feeding kittens with a tiny syringe....I doubt the smaller ones will live, sigh.

I should note that we don't have sewers here: We have open air ditches to drain the water to the nearby river. The new mayor is starting to put in below ground pipes in the center city and Palenke area (open air market)...so maybe in a year or two we will have sewers.

Our own sewage goes to a septic tank, so at least we don't have a nasty smell in the ditches around our property...but they get filled with garbage, plastic bags, old food, leaves, etc...
In the "dry" season (which is now) and when it doesn't rain, the foul water stagnates, and voila, instant mosquito nurseries. They do spray for mosquitos about twice a year: the last time was three months ago....and then people wonder why Dengue fever is so common here.

No comments: