Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Cooking tip of the day


Please Don't Roast Marshmallows Over the Erupting Hawaii Volcano, USGS Warns



but dave barry adds: but hot dogs are okay.

more HERE at Etiquette Hell,  from a man who worked as a park ranger at one volcano:





They said, “Oh we don’t want to come to your talk, we want to roast marshmallows on the lava. Is there a stick here we can use?” I explained that we only have props for visitor education. I wasn’t even sure if roasting marshmallows was a park-approved activity, but it didn’t seem too harmful so I let that part go.
But they were so determined they actually asked if they could break branches off of the trees to use as skewers. Here I had to interfere, because destroying living things is definitely not allowed in a national park. They didn’t seem to understand why that would be inappropriate, but finally suggested using only branches that were already down. I didn’t have time to argue, so I tried to excuse myself.
But they weren’t done. If I wasn’t willing to help them find the perfect stick, the least I could do was get them some marshmallows. I directed them toward the gift shop and walked away.
They actually seemed annoyed with me the whole time, as if they had expected to walk up, be handed a bag of marshmallows and a roasting stick, and walk off to the lava. Perhaps we could even club a few endangered animals for them to roast for dinner. 

No comments: