Sunday, August 18, 2013

Just an ordinary Roman Mama

Audrey Hepburn's child remembers his mother in an upcoming book.



and this is a telling part about her career:
Luca shocked his mother by suggesting she should play a Bond villain.
‘I told her, “Your films are boring and you should change this impeccable image and be the one in the Bond movies who wants to destroy the world.” She said, “You have to understand that I lived through World War II and I saw people dying. I don’t want to be the one who does anything like that.”

which explains why she took a job for UNICEF in the years before that became a fad for aging acresses to stay in the news.

CSMonitor has an article about her work visiting Somalia in 1992 here.

Three Graces has a photo of her in Somalia,
my love for Hepburn took a deeper turn because of my dear dad. My dad has worked for the United Nations for a very long time and in 1992 while working with UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) my dad was stationed in Somalia with none other than Miss Audrey Hepburn.
My dad actually had no idea who Hepburn was!.... When he came home from his stint in Somalia he told me about all the good work they had done together and how genuinely kind and caring Hepburn was and it has stuck with me through all these years.

I wrote about her HERE,

and the film Roman Holiday, which was her first starring role, can be found on youtube LINK


No comments: