Tuesday, March 19, 2024

No. AI can't think (and the NYTimes can't use google).

So Elon Musk has released a code about his version of AI/chatbot, which he calls Grok.

Instapundit link

NYTimes article is behind a paywall but IArchives had it on the wayback machine, and the Register discsuses the issue HERE..

By opening the code up for everyone to view and use — known as open sourcing — Mr. Musk waded further into a heated debate in the A.I. world over whether doing so could help make the technology safer, or simply open it up to misuse....

 The move to open-source chatbot code is the latest volley between Mr. Musk and ChatGPT’s creator, OpenAI, which the mercurial billionaire sued recently over breaking its promise to do the same.

Mr. Musk, who was a founder and helped fund OpenAI before departing several years later, has argued such an important technology should not be controlled solely by tech giants like Google and Microsoft, which is a close partner of OpenAI.

The discussion is a bit technical for grannies like myself: I have had a computer since the early 1980s but am still stuck in the past with things like blogger. But my granddaughter says all the high school kids she teaches use chat bot etc to write papers.

I believe the danger is twoford: One: the left leaning bias of their informaion and Two: they can lie.

 But the big issue:

Letting only tech giants to use it gives them a huge control over the internet. 

Letting every high school sophmore get hold of the code sort of messes that idea up.

and of course, by posting the code, it undermines the idea that the computer is a thinking machine, instead of just something that searches and juggles information out there. 

I posted a video on this before: by saying the machine is an independent thinker, those with the agenda to demolish the idea of God and free will and the importance of humanity can manipulate people


................

.background about the power fight: interview with Altman. I post it to listen to it later.

fast forward to 1:38 where he asks Altman if he wants that much power.

Don't ask me: I'm a doctor, not a computer expert.

...................

However, unlike the NYTimes, I do read science fiction and geeky stuff.

 I had to laugh at the ignorance of the expert reports at the NYTimes when they write this:

Grok, which is designed to give snarky replies styled after the science-fiction novel “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” is a product from xAI, the company Mr. Musk founded last year.

silly me. Anyone around in the 1980s know that Grok comes from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange land.and means to understand intuitively, but the term has been picked up by computer geeks to explain how they intuitively understand code and programs. 

Being a partial geek, I understand that part: it is how I do math, and sometimes diagnose patients: the pattern behind things appear without a logical path to figure it out. Which is why I am not a good teacher: teachers have to teach step by step, and I just intuitively grasp what is going on.

but you know: If the writers don't even know this basic fact, you wonder how much of the article is accurate.

No comments: