Monday, April 11, 2005

Depressing stuff part two

See previous story.
Actually, we don't feed terminal cancer patients, and once I stopped IV on a lady with azotemia, angina, and liver failure...although we did feed her by mouth...
But I want to tell a story of a lady with a stroke.
This lady, an elderly Lakota woman, was treated for pneumonia and during her hospitalization developed a stroke and some dementia.
One of the treatments for dementia is to orient the patient---but she had regressed and could not understand English. So they sent her back to Pine Ridge Indian Hospital, so that she would have caretakers who spoke her own language...
Now, she arrived late Friday afternoon, when I was going off duty from moonlighting on dayshift in the Emergency room. My replacement for the weekend was a resident from Baltimore, from a big shot hospital.

After doing her history and physical, I called the Medical doctor on call, and asked if we needed anything else. He came down and saw her, and decided since she was paralyzed on one side and having trouble swallowing, we should put in a temporary feeding tube through her nose.... (usually this clears up in a couple weeks after a stroke). However, the X Ray tech had the x ray machine taken apart to clean before the "friday night" crowds came in, and we were not able to feed her until an x ray confirmed the tube was in her stomach and not her lung.

He was going out and was within 20 minutes if there were problems, and I was going off duty, so he asked the replacement doctor to check the x ray when it was done, to save him an extra trip and so they could start giving her nutrition that evening.

Then the visiting doctors said quietly: "But why feed her?"

I was ready to say something sarcastic when I overheard this, (indeed, I was trying to remember the name of the AIM aka American Indian Movement member who lived next to my room)...but I did not have to intervene. The medical doctor merely said quiety: We don't do things like that here...

And left the room...and told the nurses not to feed her until he came back that evening to check the xray for tube placement.

Needless to say, that doctor was not permitted to come back to Pine Ridge...

But my question is this:

How many poor black patients were "not treated" in Baltimore? And did their families know that they were being starved as useless eaters?

No comments: