Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Lileks on Bible desecrations...

"...Don't get me wrong. I want us to do the right thing. I don't think there should be a policy that permits interrogators to treat the Qur'an like it was, oh, a Bible discovered in the Saudi airport customs line. But when it comes to the revelations of these Gitmo tales, I cannot care as much as they would like me to care. I cannot. Not to say we should treat the Qur’an with casual disrespect. But if an infidel touches the book with the wrong hand and people react like a two-year-old whose peas are touching the mashed potatoes, well, I understand why this matters, but when measured against the sins of headchoppery and carbombs, it pales to an evanescent translucence...."

Lileks is the master of ironic writing...and I laughed at this, because, as any Filippino with relatives working in Saudi Arabia can tell you, they aren't allowed to bring in a Bible or hold any religious services...Indeed, one of my relatives had her rosary confiscated and she was forced to throw it in a trash can...

So when I read complaints from Islamic organizations stating

....He said that this disgraceful conduct of those soldiers reveal their blatant hatred and disdain for the religion of millions of Muslims all over the world...

Hmm...so that means the Saudi government, who authorizes the Bible and rosary destruction and arrests Filippino citizens for holding Bible studies are reavealing THEIR "Blatent hatred and disdain for the religion of millions of Christians all over the world?

No comments: