Monday, August 08, 2005

Quomodo Invidiosulus Nomine Grinchus Christi Natalem Abrogaverit

Margaret Brucia reviews this classic book:

It's something sill, I thought, and in LATIN, no less
Write a review? What to do? I was confused, I confess.
But, once I cracked it to take a good look,
I saw there was quite a lot to this book.
The Latin is easy and spunky and quick
and I laughed when the Grinch tried to look like St. Nick.
There are plenty of figures of speech in this writing
alliteration, assonance and onomatopoeia are there for the citing.
And for those who like a word list near re ought to be MORE!
They reminds us that Latin does not just survive
It's ALIVE
and it needs us to help it to thrive.
So three cheers for the Tunbergs, Dr. Seuss, and Bolchazy!
For without them, I think, we could all become lazy.

No comments: