Saturday, December 17, 2005

Bread recipes

I haven't posted recipes for awhile, partly because I don't cook here in the Philippines...

But when I was in the USA I did cook my own bread, because the usual store bought bread was lousy for fluctuating blood sugars, and the "whole wheat" breads were bitter...

So I used to make my own, and later even had a breadmaking machine...

Luckily bread freezes, since my husband eats rice, rice, and more rice....

And here, we eat rice, rice, and more rice, but our family sells golden grain, a non bitter brown rice, which we eat three times a day and helps my blood sugar from fluctuating thanks to the high fiber content...

So anyway, this is my favorite bread recipe...

The link has the exact recipe. My recipe is take a cup or so of cooked oatmeal, mix with a cup of milk, one egg, a pinch of salt, and a quarter cup of butter, and a quarter cup of brown sugar (I never had molasses in my cupboard, so usually ended up with brown sugar instead)...and a pack of yeast
Mix together with flour until doughy.
If not gluey enough, add gluten. Let rise.
Bake at 400 until done.

Works for me