Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Blizzard food

EpiLog discusses the best food for blizzard eating.

Since I had boys, and they tended to be happy for their "snow day" off of school...they were outside playing, or (more likely) they and their friends would be playing Ninja in our dining room, where I would move the table to the next room and the dining room instead became a big open play room.

So I would keep a pot of beef stew on the stove/crockpot.

Recipe:
Brown onions and garlic, brown beef cubes, then add water, potatoes and carrots and peas. Ratio would be one part beef, one part potato, half part carrot, and enough peas to make it look interesting.

Spice with one bay leaf and lemon pepper, and tomatoes or tomato soup/puree.ketchup: enough tomato to make the colour pinkish tan.. Add other spices as desired and salt of course.
Stew for one to two hours (crockpot on high) then keep it warm (crockpot on low).

Toward the end of the cooking, I'd stir in a tablespoon or two of cornstarch, that I had mixed with a quarter cup of water.
(do this part yourself: My son once did it for me, added half a cup directly into the stew, and then wondered why it turned into "glue").


Serve with homemade bread and butter. (TGFB: Thank God for Bread-making machines).

Another "let the kids feed themselves" stew recipe is to brown a lot of chicken parts for ten minutes, brown two medium onions, sliced.

Then add water, chicken broth, and poultry spice and salt, and rice. Cover with lid (or foil if you don't have a lid)...rice percentage is one part rice to two parts water/broth, which makes the rice a bit soggy if the lid is tight, but for my pot was okay.
Half way through, I'd check and add more water if too much had evaporated.
Place in oven at 350 degrees for one to one hour if I had added hot water, add another half hour if the water was cold.
I had a huge "turkey roaster" pan that I used for this.

When done, take out, and if it's not eaten in an hour, put into the fridge in portions...the kids microwaved it as needed.

No comments: