Saturday, October 16, 2010

Stuff below the fold

JCarter has links up to interesting stuff at FTBlog.
including

13. 5 Things SpongeBob Squarepants Can Teach You About Business

°°°°°°

14. War Can Make You Fat



-------------------------------------
so here I am downloading a NatGeo special from youtube (yes, we get NGeo Asia, but a lot of the best programs are on later at night, when we are sleeping)...and then when I try to download part three, I get the "sorry but they won't let you watch it in your country because of copyright something or other".

No problem, I just download it from a Chinese site that mimics youtube.

They reason I learned about all these places to download videos in the first place was because Amazon refused to let me download a movie I had bought from them, due to copyright laws. The movie was an oldie which I couldn't find here in the boondocks of the Philippines, but torrent sites had it listed, so no problem.

And, ironically, if I want to watch a new movie, we can find these films at the Palenke for less than a dollar, often before it opens in Manila.

What's wrong with this picture?

And when I hear about books and textbooks costing almost as much for the ebook version as the hard cover, I also shudder. Yes, medical textbooks are available on line for overseas docs, but someone needs to look into other types of textbooks. No, I rarely use ebooks myself...too old fashioned... since the US stopped their cheap book postage rate, I get most of my books used...most best sellers appear at our "used book kiosk" three years after they are published, and I have found quite a few classics there too.

In contrast, ten years ago, we couldn't get any books here in town, but we have had cable TV since the early 1990's.

No comments: