Monday, February 28, 2011

Lost in the cosmos due to TB

On my Xanga blog one of the headlines discussed was that the CDC just redicovered medical folks catch TB from their patients. Well, duh. Been there, done that (although I didn't catch it, I merely got a very postive skin test).

That brought me to the cockeyed logic of Walker Percy, who retired from medicine after he caught TB as a pathology resident.

The first book of his that I read was "the Moviegoer", which I wasn't sure I liked but it haunted me in a way that only classics usually do.

But his satires are better known: Essay at Chronicles of Higher Ed here.

Peter Kreeft podcast on Percy here.

Ironically, I enjoyed the Thantos Syndrome, not for it's antieuthanasia satires,(which is too close to reality nowadays to be funny) but for the zany characters, and the completely not political correct satire on what would happen if you put chemicals in the water supply of New Orleans to make the folks there smart, happy, hard working, and obedient...

Isn't it ironic that the best "Catholic" writers (Percy and Flannery O'Connor) are from the South of the US (where Catholics are rare) and whose "religious" themes are often interpreted by the overly pious as anti Christian?

of course, if I had read Lancelot first, I'd probably agree with them.

Factoid: His daughter was deaf, but since he supported lip reading not ASL, he is disliked by much of the American Deaf community.

No comments: