Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Quotes of the day

Of modern politicians, Streep added: ‘Today it’s all about feelings. You know, “How do I come off?” and, “Does this seem OK?”.You want people who are willing to find a solution. I admire the fact that she was a “love-me-or-hate-me” kind of leader who said: “This is what I stand for.” It’s a hard thing to do and no one’s doing that now.’

--Meryl Streep about Margaret Thatcher.


====================

I know of no reason why the younger Ms Clinton should not have this or any job. But the increasing sense that this country is run by a hereditary celebrity class is one of the most corrosive and dangerous forces eating away at our common life.

--Walter Russell Mead

(aside from the fact she is bucktoothed, inexperienced and unqualified, what is the problem?)

==-------------------------------

When I resigned from my position and I drove home, I felt my world had caved in, and I was certain that that was the end of the end...

I went to see the president, and he looked me in the eyes after I could barely get an apology out, and he said, “Tim, I forgive you.” I was really shocked, and I tried a second time to apologize for what I had done.

He said to me, “I’ve known grace and mercy in my life, and I’m extending it to you. You’re forgiven.” ...

As I prepared to leave the Oval Office, he turned to me, and he said, “And, by the way, I want you to bring your wife and children here, so I can tell them what a great husband and father you’ve been.”

from Geoglein's book The Man in the Middle: An Inside Account of Faith and Politics in the George W. Bush Era:

headsup The Anchoress.

-----------------------

Clever Kleptomaniac Claude Cooper From Cleveland Copped the Clean Copper Cutlass Kept in the Commander in Chief's Crypt
"Vandals Strike Lincoln's Tomb, Steal Copper Sword"--headline, KMOX-TV website (St. Louis), Nov. 12

James Taranto commenting on a recent crime story.

No comments: