Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hispanics as heroes

The new movie "For Greater Glory" starring Andy Garcia might have "conservative" values so when I read an interview like this one, I am happy. It points out the parallels between Mexico's anti church moves in the 1920's with those of Castro (both taboo subjects on the far left), but I am wondering why the press hasn't picked up the fact that, unlike a lot of other "action" movies, in this one the ordinary Mexicans are the heroes (thus shattering the anti immigration prejudices of the far right about Mexicans).

Except for the movie "Spy Kids" (which is seen as a children's action movie, and usually ignores that the kidsand their parents are Hispanic), it's hard to name a movie where Mexicans are not portrayed as quaint, or stupid, or murderous.... (true, the movie "Tortilla soup" is an exception, but that was a remake of the Taiwanese movie "Eat Drink Man Woman" so may not count).




------------------------
I am aware of this episode because when I was growing up, the Mexican Visitation sisters had fled to our city and had a nearby convent, and later, when I worked in Mescalero, I learned the story of how the legendary Father Braun helped those fleeing by smuggling fake US papers over the border.
 

No comments: