Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Family news

I dropped a cup of coffee on Sunday morning: The cup hit the touchscreen of my convertible computer and then hit the floor and spilled coffee all over.

Luckily the coffee didn't hit the tablet part of the computer, but the cup cracked the touch screen, so that part doesn't work: However, if you attach a mouse and the keyboard it works okay.

Sigh. I had planned to take the detachable tablet with me when I visit my son later this month.

So I decided to give in and buy a cellphone: I found one with a largish screen so it's easier to read with for books or to surf the net and will take it with me for my trip.

A bit smaller than my previous Samsung tablet, but budget is the problem.

Today, I took the dogs for their annual rabies shots. Rabies is an ongoing problem here: lots of stray or runaway dogs and a lot of poor people don't get their dogs vaccinated.  Both the city and in the farm areas, the gov't usually holds free clinics and is pretty good at getting people to get their dogs the shots. But not all the time. And now the mayor has free rabies shots for children who have been bitten, and cheaper shots for adults. But sometimes they run out of vaccine, so again people which run 750 per shot for a series of three, plus extra for the immunoglobulin shot if it is a severe bite.

I had the series so I am okay (one of our half grown puppies got sick and bit me badly, so I got it just in case).

forget Cujo: Listen to this audiobook and shudder.



and most people have seen this:



but you can also catch rabies from bats, racoons, cats and even cows.


No comments: