Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The Great Poobah

The secretary's dog in the next garden is not very friendly but I feed him and since I can't remember his Tagalog name, so I call him Poobah. He was mangy but I did get him an injection for it and he's now looking better, but although he comes to me when I call to feed him, if I get too close, he does growl menacingly at me.

I suspect I got that name: from Elizabeth Goudge's series on the Eliott family (Pilgrim's Inn... free ebook on internet archive) and the grandmothers' old spoiled dog is called Poobah.

The name comes from the Mikado,. a very funny Gilbert and Sullivan operetta that I'm sure that the PC censors will not allow to be shown anymore, but never mind.

wikipedial says that the "grand Poobah"

 is a character: Grand Poobah is a term derived from the name of the haughty character Pooh-Bah in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado (1885)
In this comic opera, Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral ... Archbishop ... Lord Mayor" and "Lord High Everything Else". The name has come to be used as a mocking title for someone self-important or locally high-ranking and who either exhibits an inflated self-regard or who has limited authority while taking impressive titles.
But if the PC don't like the cultural appropriation of the Mikado, I'm sure it could be updated and made politically correct for them.

Hmm... the twittermobs are sort of like the Grand Poobah, they exhibit "an inflated self regard" with "limited authority"...

Oh well: Here is an updated version of Koko's song:




----------------------

No comments: