Monday, July 01, 2019

Family news

Joy has been burning the candle at both ends, between doing my papers and Ruby's papers, and supervising a booth at a Manila trade fair, and giving a business talk in Manila, and lots and lots of church activities and family get togethers.

I warned her to slow down, but nah, she didn't. So now she has a bad cold, and so does Ruby (and I'll probably catch it in a day or two).

And it's rainy out: low pressure area. Good for the rice fields, and maybe it will fill the reservoirs so Manila has enough water. But it means staying inside, and if you don't watch it, the dogs stay inside too, and they are not housetrained so go in the corner of the library. Uggh.

Right now, I'm downloading a Pinoy drama "my Golden Life". Joy asked me to download it before, but I could only find a streaming site, and told her to watch it there. The problem? the internet often goes on and off, so usually it's better to download and watch later, then erase the stuff. This is what I do for Youtube also.

 But now I found a site (russian, so probably my computer will get Russian viruses) and I can download it using a Chinese downloader so I will have to check if I start getting Chinese viruses too...

Here in Asia, a lot of the computers have fake windows etc. but we pay extra for it. And you can buy movies/DVD's at the palenke (probably counterfeit, but whatever).

We bought a family NetFlix subscription, mainly for Ruby to use in Canada since their illegal download laws are tight, and we use it to watch their stuff here.

I also keep an eye on Youtube for movies and audiobooks: which often are removed when the copyright cops find them, alas.

Right now, a Lebanese Agatha Christie site is being harassed by them (he usually posts the BBC videos of her books with Arab subtitles). Sigh.

And some episodes of old TV shows from the US like Columbo and Murder she wrote, or classic films from the 1940s and 1950s are there too.

the last movie we watched was the classic "Gone With the Wind": Ruby had never seen it, so I told her to watch it before it disappears into the SJW censorship pit.

this is the low pixel version, but they also have the high pixel version for 400 pesos (about 8 dollars).





No comments: