Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Family news

There was a big accident in our town (Pambuan township) late yesterday morning: A gravel truck lost his brakes and hit a lot of people. One report says 7 dead and injured.

the video taken by a passerby is HERE, but very graphic: showing the dead and injured being taken away by ambulances and the mayor was there helping load them.

The only good part of the news is that, even though it happened in front of one of the high schools, that school was closed for the holiday: if not, there would have been dozens of students going home at that time and the death rate would have been higher.

the other good news is that we now have ambulances, and they were all there yesterday. (see video).

The main roads go straight through the town (and since main street turns one way near us, a lot of the traffic detours around our house.). The local traffic is mostly "tricycles" (motorcycles with side car) but some cars and heavy trucks carrying rice, gravel, vegetables etc.  They all "speed" but not really fast: maybe 25 miles an hour, and use their brakes and horn all the time to warn people, since often people are walking on the side of the road, and there are vendors at the curb where people buy snacks and socialize.

About once a year, a bad truck accident happens: usually when they collide with a tricycle or motorcycle that gets in their way and they can't stop in time... a neighbor's son was killed when his motorcycle was hit by a truck a few months ago... and then sometimes the men sitting on the top of the rice bags fall off when the truck stops too fast, and get killed.

Our town is prosperous, but mainly lower middle class, meaning that people do okay until there is an emergency.

Already one person has come for help with the funeral bill, and another for help since his relative had a head injury and is being treated in the next town....probably more will arrive later.

Sigh. As a doc, I've been in the ER when such accidents happen. Sigh.

In my prayers.

------------------------

In other news, Kuya went to Manila for the big trade agricultural trade fair.

Joy was there until yesterday but her mom had another fall and is in the hospital being checked for a concussion/stroke. Joy came home late last night and will probably go back to visit her mom later today.

------------------
I just got an email from the OPM saying if I don't sign in they'll turn off my retirement account.

I tried several times, and couldn't get in, so asked for a new password, but that wouldn't let me sign in either.

So I sent them a letter saying I'm old, please snail mail me instead of using computers because I'm old.

Actually, I've had a computer since 1982: the problem is that they force you to change to complicated passwords and if you don't type them in correctly or if it's not complicated enough, they spit it back at you.  



And then, of course, they see my computer is located in the Philippines so they figure all those bad sign ins are by a hacker, and shut my account until I get in touch with them...


In the future, they will "fix" this with face recognition or fingerprints or putting the mark of the beast (/s) on your right hand or forehead.

My fingerprints and face are already in the local immigration computers here, and also were collected when I merely traveled through China on the way to the USA.

I know that I am probably on the NSA's "naughty list", and all my data belong to google and facebook, but hey, it doesn't mean I like it.



-----------------------------

the good news: our cook's granddaughter's twins came to visit: They are two months old and cute. I am helping pay for their formula, since mom doesn't have enough milk for two kids.

________________

No comments: