Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Shopping in the shutdown

I went to the bank, accompanied by my daughter in law Joy, to deposit a check and get money (I do this every week because I tend to spend money if I have it, so I keep to a strict schedule to budget money). 

Our branch was closed, but another branch was open with a skeleton staff. They don't know me so I had to show ID (no problem) but with the shutdown, they said the courier might not be picking up the checks to send to the Manila branch that sends it to their US branch to transfer the money, so they don't know when the check will clear (usually it takes 21 working days). 

Luckily I have enough savings here for now, if we don't have any emergencies.

I might have to arrange for my bank in the USA to wire money from my pension to here if the lockdown continues. Sigh.

On the way in, the security guard sprayed our hands with alcohol/hand sanitizer and checked our temperature. 

I also went to get dog food at the agri store, and dropped Joy at the pharmacy to pick up my medicines (anti histamines for allergies and ibuprofen for my arthritis) because the pharmacy had long lines and I am at higher risk than her.

Few people are on the street, and the cops and security guards are all wearing masks.

I have a cloth mask: I guess the disposable ones are being kept for those who need to change them all the time.

The cook buys our daily food (mainly fish or meat and fresh veggies, since we eat our own rice), and I guess the local bakery is closed since she is buying pre packaged pandesal (Bread rolls). 

Usually I buy the laundry detergent and things like whole wheat bread, peanut butter, cheese, snacks, coffee (3 in 1 for the staff) etc. at a local grocery store, but again I didn't want to go into the crowded store, so I sent the maid, who said they wouldn't let her in without a mask (which they of course sold her). 

Alas, the small local grocery store didn't have the loaf bread, or some other commodities that come from outside the area. Presumably they still have stock that has a longer shelf life, at least until they run out. 

I worry that soon the distribution of commodities is going to be a problem: Joy is still trying to figure out how to get our rice delivered due to long lines and limitations on how many can go with the trip (i.e. it means the driver will have to help move the heavy sacks of rice with only one helper).

by the way: you do need a permit from the Barangay office (neighborhood office) to shop, and it only allows shopping for groceries and medicine. The staff went there to get one a few days ago, but our cousin who works there brought mine to the house to spare me the trip and long lines.

-------------------
the city lockdown is affecting the dead: the poor lady and her baby who died a few days ago is scheduled to be buried but only with a blessing to the grave, not with a mass.

Lolo's five year anniversary is tomorrow: Usually we should attend mass and visit the grave and buy a lot of flowers to decorate it, and then stay at the grave for awhile to pray and eat.

But of course, I won't be doing this. Lolo was a FilAm and even though family might be upset, I doubt he'd want us to endanger ourselves.

-----------------------

Duterte is asking for more powers: it is approaching the level of martial law in some areas at present. Since many remember Marcos, martial law is a "no-no", but most of the opposition recognizes this might be needed in some areas.

and while the US and Philippines are busy trying to prevent their people from dying from the China virus, China has been busy expanding their military bases and aggression in the West Philippine sea. China claims the expansion is a "civilian effort" (meaning they only are doing this to steal the resources of the Philippines and VietNam) but they aren't really fooling anyone.

No comments: