Saturday, May 22, 2021

It's the heat, not the "ouchie"

 Joy and I are registered on line to get the local AstaZeneca vaccine from the city, but because of crowds on the day we registered, they ran out of vaccine.

Then Joy had business in Manila today, so she made plans to go on Monday.

Ah, but the cook told me that her son, a tricycle driver, would take me and her daughter, the maid, would come with me to translate, so I went to the city gym early to get in line.

The lines were long but not packed as it was yesterday, so I stayed in line, finished getting my screening, and got the shot.

The entire procedure took 3 hours. And no, the shot didn't make me sick. 

But the hot weather did: it's been in the 90s all week, and the monsoon with it's afternoon cooling thunder showers hasn't quite arrived yet.

The gym did have fans and I was drinking cool water the entire time, but when I got home I was exhausted and ready to go back to bed, since I had been up since 4 am when Joy left for Manila and the dogs woke me to tell me that someone (her driver) was at the door.

So after the shot, I went to bed all after noon but I was up all evening and am now ready to go back to bed. I think I might be running a low grade fever, but no other problem so far.

The Gym, by the way, is not just used for basketball: it is also on a mound built up three feet from the street level, so is used as a evacuation center for our area of the city (where many of the poor live in the flood plane of the local rivers). Our home is also elevated just a bit. We only flooded once, when a local dam had an emergency water release to prevent overtopping, but even then we only flooded three inches, making a mess but not dangerous.

So anyway, I am protected, sort of. But due to the lack of enough vaccine, I won't be given the second shot until August. Presumably if I get Covid, I will have fewer symptoms or a less serious episode. This last fact is rarely discussed in the MSM or in the conspiracy anti vax sites.







No comments: