Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Amazon's Tolkien series: Maybe it will be good?

I've seen a lot of snide stuff on the internet worrying that Amazon will make their Tolkien backstory "woke" and R rated.

So Amazon reached out to the experts in the Tolkien community to counter this.

TheOneRingNet report here:

Several Ph.Ds, published authors, Tolkientubers and TikTokers have shared their first impressions of completed footage from Prime Video’s massive new Lord of the Rings TV series – The Rings of Power. 

read their entire report for more details and links and tweets and videos from many of the best known leaders of the Tolkien fan community. 

and most of the reviews seem to be positive.

and even the Tolkien professor enjoyed it: and  at the meeting learned how to use tictok.


Heh. I feel sympathetic: I don't do tiktok either, nor have I done group meetings like my relatives do all the time for business or school classes.

here is another postive report from a newer podcaster nerdoftherings:


I'm not sure I will be able to watch this, since although we have netflix, we haven't signed up for Amazon prime yet... 

and of course because the copyright law here in the Philippines is weak, many streaming services won't let us see their stuff (I canceled a K drama streaming service because they wouldn't let me watch my favorite K Dramas.... luckily I can download them with lots of ads and occassional virus infections from a Chinese site instead, or by using VPN for the youtube ones that won't let us watch them here).

But anyway, it does sound like maybe Amazon didn't completely ruin it. 

the Tolkien professor's video is called other minds and hands because Tolkien once envisioned that his mythology would be added to by other minds and hands. 

So although the crusty professor might dislike the Jackson treatment, and hate LOTR online games, in theory he would probably be sympathetic to these additions to his mythology.

No comments: