Thursday, October 27, 2022

What I'm reading: Monkey pox, Gandhi the nurse, and Genji's malaria.

 I have not blogged here because I have been posting on my medical blog.

LINK is about the poor public health response to Monkey pox: Because publicizing it was being spread in gay gatherings, or actually shutting down raves etc was not done for fear of spreading homophobia. 

And the outreach to the black community was dismal.

Sigh.

-----------------

I don't know much about the history of medicine in India, but did you know Gandhi's pioneering work? 

Professor Lal's lecture:




===============
I am still working my way through the Tale of Genji: audiobook at Librivox.

At one point Genji has malaria, which is cured by a Buddhist priest. 


So now I am planning to  do   research into medical practice in early Medieval Japan.

Luckily for me, some papers are available on academic sites or on Scribd (since there is no way I can afford to buy them). 

my comments here.
----------- 

In the meanwhile, I am alone much of this week: 

Joy is at a business conference, and Kuya is busy harvesing the rice. Unlike when we moved here, when the staff would take off to harvest their rice by hand and we had our own thresher to process it, they now use a harvester/thresher to do this.

The mayor's office will supply it for free for the small farmers, but there is a long line and you have to take your turn, so Kuya is renting one... alas it broke down and they are fising it, and it is due to rain tonite, and another tropical distrubance that might turn into a typhoon is due to hit here over the weekend, so it is vital to get the rice cut and dried before the rains start again.





No comments: