Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Globalization take two

I have often joked about the CD of Gloria's conversations with Garci being sold by vendors...

MP3 and other pirated music is also common (I upgraded my computer had drive from 20 to 40g and when I explored the second drive, found I had 5 gigs of pirated music...alas, mostly hip hop or Filippino music, which I don't listen to)...

And yesterday, I bought the pirated VCD of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe...It must have been taped from a movie theatre, because it was poor quality sound and video, and several scenes were shortened to fit the short VCD...

Ironically, it doesn't open here in Manila until Jan 6, so it is probably a Chinese version...indeed, the vendor didn't know he had it (I found it behind some Bruce Lee action films that I was looking at).

Until you get them home, you don't know if they are pirated or not, since it has all the lables and stamps...but there are two clues.
One: Poor quality.
Two: it only cost 50 cents (33 pesos/ 3 vcd for 100 pesos). Regular VCD movies cost from 100 to 300 pesos (2 to 6 dollars). But sometimes unpopular REAL VCD's are found in the sale racks where I found this one... for example at the same time we bought LWW, I bought National Treasure, and it had all the ads, and was NOT a pirated version...

Don't sue me, Miramax, since I'll probaby buy the official version of LWW when it comes out in six months...

No comments: