Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Yum...Roast Cuy for Christmas

Every country has different animals that they eat...
Here they eat all types of fish and lots of shrimp/shellfish/squid etc, and lots of chicken, some pork, and waterbuffalo meat (and if you can afford it, beef imported from NewZealand)....

In Africa they might eat chicken, goat meat, some beef and fish, but a seasonal "treat" (not a usual source of protein) would include caterpillers and flying ants, but shrimp/crawfish were taboo...

But in the Andes, where my sons lived until I adopted them, along with chicken and goat, they ate Cuy...aka Guinea pigs (although the Cuy were larger than the guinea pigs you see in the stores)...

In the USA, some rural people keep rabbits in their garages to eat and to sell the fur for extra money...

Well, in Colombia, their birth mom kept a breeding female in the kitchen, and when the smallcuys were larger, she would kill a couple and make stew.

They are Colombian, but their town was near the Ecuador border...

So I have linked (above) to Ecudorian recipes for Cuy...

And the answer is YES, I have eaten Cuy...and they taste like Pork...and Yes, I have eaten squid (tastes like chewey shrimp), Aso (tastes like beef), but no, I did not eat flying ants...but my mom did, and said they tasted like chestnuts...

No comments: